Sunday, May 23, 2010

Special Dispatch from Florence: May 8: Galleria dell’Accademia (Gallery of the Academy)

I spent a week in Florence visiting my lovely friend L., and, between eating pasta and knocking back the vino, went to some museums. So here are some special dispatches from Italy (and remind me to tell you the story about seeing an old man break another old man’s nose with a sucker punch in a wine bar near the train station!).

The Accademia, the collections of the official art school, is mainly known for housing Michelangelo’s David. The rest of their stuff is pretty specialized (well, unless you have an abiding interest in 14th century Early Renaissance art and are an expert in playing “Is this painting by Bicci di Lorenzo or Lorenzo di Bicci?”, which is the art historical equivalent of a steel cage match). Frankly, the copy of the David now installed in its original location, in front of the Palazzo Vecchio, is good, and thus the Accademia is awash with disappointed tourists who are thinking “I still don’t get why this statue is so supposedly awesome, and now I just paid 12 euro, and now the damn guard keeps yelling “no photo!” at me.”