Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March 30: Institut du Monde Arabe (Institute of the Arab World) Take Two

When I wrote about the Institute of the Arab World last time, I said that I would give it another chance if I went to see a special exhibition. So I went, and… I’m still not sure. The exhibition, “Orient-Hermès,” combines lush showcases full of Hermes products and the traditional crafts from Morocco and India which inspired them with stations where craftsmen display their methods of glass-painting, saddle-making, mosaic, stone-carving, etc. On the one hand, it’s kinda like paying admission to see the equivalent of a really fancy Hermès combined with a tourist market in Marakesh (complete with icky locals who call you “pretty girl” and ask you if you would like to take a couscous with them) (not kidding); on the other hand, when are you going to have another chance to chat with the dude who makes Hermès saddles featuring embroidered gold lace?