Thursday, January 7, 2010

January 6: Le Cabinet d’histoire du Jardin des Plantes (The Cabinet of the History of the Jardin des Plantes)

I’m going to start feeling sorry for myself if there are many more utterly boring museums like this on my list. And when I say boring, you know it’s boring, since I am a person who finds, for example, exhibitions of “Sundials through History” completely fascinating. But plans and models of the different buildings of the Jardin des Plantes – Paris’ botanical garden/ zoo? Not so much. On the plus side, it’s only about five rooms, and the exhibitions seems to rotate frequently, if you like your tedium contained and varied. Although this rotation means that you might not get to see the room full of prints and drawings of volcanic eruptions – although I probably found this interesting only because it brought back memories of the guy I briefly dated in college, an unwilling virgin with a very Freudian National Geographic poster of an erupting volcano hung above his dorm room bed.