Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January 24: Maison Européenne de la Photographie (European House for Photography) (but “House” sounds stupid, so let’s call it a “Center")

I like to think of myself as an adventurous globe-trotter (if by “globe” you understand “those portions of the globe equipped with flush toilets"). My body, by contrast, tends to be about as happy about travelling as a grandmother from Boise trying to order Ranch dressing in Rome (hint: ain’t gonna happen). As soon as I cross an ocean, my body treats everything as allergens – and, seriously, it’s January, so it’s having to work hard to find allergens. Anyway: this is just to say that I’m sorry I’ve been slow in posting, but it’s because leaving the apartment hasn’t been so much of an option lately.

Ok, so: the European Center for Photography! I chose it for proximity to my warm, warm Kleenex nest (I mean, apartment) and because photography is usually pretty non-challenging to look at. And I was right. Pretty pictures, generic-with-whiff-of-modernism atmosphere, and fashionable 20-something visitors: you could be in any photography collection in the world. (That’s a recommendation, by the way.) Seemed like a good place to pick someone up with a discussion about how overrated Ansel Adams is – although, big caveat, the guy who showed me the most attention did have a goatee. (That’s not a recommendation.)